The BB bass legacy
When the first Yamaha BB basses rolled off the line in the late '70s, the bass world quickly took notice. A diverse array of high-caliber players took to these unique instruments, such as Van Halen's Michael Anthony, No Doubt's Tony Kanal, and legendary session ace Abraham Laboriel Sr. Their comfortably contoured bodies, clear-as-a-bell electronics, and immediately identifiable look keep these basses at the forefront of many different genres. The Yamaha BB734A is among the latest additions to this storied line of lauded instruments.
Familiar construction with modern twists
What truly sets Yamaha's BB basses apart from other basses are their comfortable and familiar contours. Carefully crafted from a carefully tuned combination of alder and maple, the BB734A 4-string's body boasts that same identifiable character. Its rounded edges and forearm and belly cuts seem to melt into your body while performing. The bass's 5-piece maple and mahogany bolt-on neck sings with a new level of punch and sustain, thanks for its 6-bolt miter design. And its slightly thinner profile is a welcome addition for more modern styles of players.
Flexible and powerful electronics
Whether you're a session player or a specialist, you know the benefits of a P/J pickup combination. The pickups in this BB734A are Yamaha's present-sounding YGD Custom V7 Alnico V single-coil design. Use the bass's active 3-band EQ and blend to dial in more of the neck pickup for that all-important P-style growl. And nail punchy fingerstyle tones with the bridge pickup — a favorite for many AudioProCT bassists. The BB734A's active/passive switch offers two different characters while also being a lifesaver if you find yourself without a battery.
Yamaha BB734A Active Bass Features:
- Powerful, active version of a classic bass
- Modern appointments such as lightweight tuners for better balance
- 3-piece alder/maple/alder body offers a clear tone with plenty of punch
- YGD Custom V7 Alnico V P/J pickup setup is versatile and intuitive
- Active preamp with 3-band EQ will nail any tone you need
- Onboard active/passive switch instantly selects between 2 tonal characters
- 5-piece maple and mahogany bolt-on neck is incredibly stable
- The neck's 6-bolt miter neck joint ensures the bass sings with clarity and sustain
- Thinner neck profile for a more modern feel
- Number of Strings:4
- Body Shape:Yamaha BB Doublecut
- Body Material:3-piece Alder/Maple/Alder
- Body Finish:Gloss Polyurethane
- Color:Dark Coffee Sunburst
- Neck Material:5-piece Maple/Mahogany
- Neck Shape:Slim BB profile
- Fingerboard Material:Rosewood
- Fingerboard Inlay:Bars
- Number of Frets:21, Medium
- Scale Length:34"
- Nut Width:1.57"
- Nut Material:GraphTech Tusq
- Bridge/Tailpiece:Vintage Plus String-thru Bridge with Convertible Brass Saddles, Steel Plate
- Tuners:Lightweight Open-gear
- Neck Pickup:VSP7n Alnico V Split-coil
- Bridge Pickup:VSC7b Alnico V Single-coil
- Controls:1 x master volume, 1 x pickup balance, 3-band Active EQ, Active/Passive switch
- Strings:D'Addario EXL, .045-.100
- Case Included:Gig Bag
- Manufacturer Part Number:BB734A DCS